Campus-Wide TA Awards
2014-2015 Nomination Deadlines:
- Fall 2014: Nominations for the Campus-wide TA Awards are due by Friday, November 21, 2014.
- Spring 2015: Nominations for the L&S Teaching Fellow Award are due by Friday, February 27, 2015.
The College of Letters & Science, with additional funding support from the Graduate School, takes a leading role in recognizing the critical role of TAs in undergraduate instruction by organizing the campus-wide TA awards, which are distributed at the end of the fall semester.
- Up to five winners in each award category per year
- $500 award funded by the College of Letters & Science and the Graduate School
- Teaching Assistants from all UW-Madison schools and colleges are eligible to apply
- Departments may nominate up to three TAs per year and may distribute those nominations across the award categories as they see fit, but a department or program may nominate an individual TA in only one of the four categories per year.
Campus-Wide TA Awards recognize:
Nominees are required to submit a personal statement. Visit the Award FAQ page to read statement guidelines for each award category.
Early Excellence in Teaching – recognizes outstanding and inspirational performance on the part of TAs with fewer than four semesters of teaching experience;
Exceptional Service – recognizes TAs who, in addition to their regular duties, perform exceptional service related to the educational mission of their department and our university (volunteerism, committee work, mentoring, etc.). Nominations should focus on the service performed outside of the TA's regular duties.
Innovation in Teaching – recognizes TAs who bring extraordinary creativity to their work and have developed or adapted teaching methods or techniques in new and innovative ways;
Capstone Ph.D. Teaching – recognizes TAs who have performed as outstanding teachers throughout their UW-Madison tenure. Nominees must be dissertators at the end of their graduate program and planning to defend their dissertations by the end of the school year. Therefore, Teaching Assistants may be nominated only once for the Capstone Ph.D. Teaching Award.
Visit the Award FAQ page for a list of required nomination materials and to download a nomination form.